Friday, April 17, 2020

Pandemic postcard #5: Farewell, Kelly

Kelly Yost Hove, 1940-2020
It was the early 1990s, and--about a decade out of college--I had finally become a full-time freelance writer. At least that was my aspiration; I didn't have a lot of work at first. But as a former newspaper reporter in Twin Falls, Idaho, the town where I lived at the time, I knew a lot of people. I'm pretty sure it was Judi the bookseller who alerted Sam and Kelly Yost that I could help them out.

Sam and Kelly ran Channel Productions, a small record label that had two releases at the time, both classical piano collections by Kelly. I signed on to help with writing tasks as well as with radio relations, and it's no exaggeration to say I may not have survived my first year as a freelancer without the Yosts. They had plenty of work for me at a time when Channel Productions was adding artists and going full tilt. (Kelly's recordings wound up selling about half a million copies.) As I got busier with other projects--including travel writing and having a baby--Kelly and Sam were always accommodating, welcoming me back whenever I had some time to give them, often accompanied by my infant daughter.

Sam and Kelly eventually parted; Kelly remarried and continued running Channel Productions. I moved to Boise but we stayed in touch; although Kelly was no longer recording, I helped her get her back catalog onto Amazon, and she served as a job reference for me on several occasions. A few more years passed and I moved to the West Coast. In an email exchange during the summer of 2013, I wished her a happy birthday and she wrote back to say she had closed the business, partly because she had been diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment. But she was 73 by then, in good spirits and ready to enjoy retirement with Kent.

I saw Kelly one more time, in 2018 on a rare visit to Twin Falls. Her memory loss was more advanced by then, but she remembered me and I was able to thank her for all she and Sam had done to help me a quarter-century before. I am grateful I had an opportunity to express that gratitude when I did, for Kelly died on Easter Sunday from complications of COVID-19. She was 79.

Kelly's piano playing mirrored her way of being in the world: She was calm, steady, shining quietly from the inside out. She loved her native Idaho and its natural wonders, and she gained fame as far away as Japan, where she was featured in a documentary film, celebrated as much for her environmental activism as for her music. I was truly blessed to know her and to work with her, and my heart goes out to her husband Kent and her son Brook and to the many others now mourning her loss.

Rest well, Kelly.
 
___
 
If you enjoy Surely Joy, please consider supporting my work via Patreon. Pledges start at just $3 a month. Thanks for reading!  

6 comments:

  1. The people who touch and direct parts of our lives are a gift. I am so glad you could share this reflection of your relationship with Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, thank you for this comment and thank you for reading. It's good to know someone is out there, especially now. ~ J

      Delete
    2. What a nice tribute to a lovely woman. Kelly was my cousin and a treasure to All of us.

      Delete
    3. Thank you. Please accept my sympathy to your entire family.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to Kelly. I am a first cousin on her fathers side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading. I am grateful that Kelly's family has found this post.

      Delete