Sunday, December 20, 2015

'Tis the season

I spent $179.48 yesterday. I'm pretty sure it was the most I spent on "stuff" on a single day in 2015. All but $15 of it was at my go-to store, Fred Meyer, which is a three-minute walk from my house. 

Most of the year, I'm not much of a shopper. One of the biggest benefits of not having a car is that I only buy what I can carry. But the deals this time of year are truly hard to beat and I had a bit of pent-up demand from moving to a new place this fall -- a place with a little more storage. Nature abhors a vacuum, you know, and that goes double if it's unused cabinet space, right? I easily have twice as much of that in my new place as my old one. 

So I bought a few things for my kitchen (a griddle, two glass casserole dishes and a mini-muffin pan, all 50 percent off, plus a cheap hand mixer, an orange silicone spatula -- I had NO spatula -- and a wider flapjack flipper); two games, also half-off; no-slip treads for my bathtub;  a broom; a few cloth napkins; some cleaning supplies; a Christmas doormat; and half-off Hanukkah candles for next year. (Being a Unitarian Universalist, I celebrate everything). 

It took me three trips to the store to buy (and carry) all this stuff. But it was not a typical day. 

Before the trips to Freddie's, I also made a trek to the last Very Vintage Market of the year at the Lake City Community Center. There, I found a fun, painted orange accent table for $15; bought it from the woman who painted it; and schlepped it home by hand. It's a little too summery orange for this time of year, but with a muted scarf draped over the top, it's perfect. (And yes! I love pretty much anything orange.)  

"Everything in moderation" is one of my mottos, and that includes shopping. I do find joy in occasionally buying objects of beauty, whimsy or both -- all the better if they're repurposed. (The tissue-box holder was a recent $3 purchase at Value Village.) But I'm not immune to sales, and I'll probably pick up a few more seasonal bargains between now and the end of the year, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment