Friday, September 4, 2020

Pandemic postcard #24: Hearts for the arts

I know I said I'd be taking this week off from posting, but I'm excited about a few time-limited projects I've heard about, so I want to pass them along to you. 

Today (September 4) only, you can spend $20.20 (or more) for "Good Music To Avert the Collapse of American Democracy." Yep, that is literally the title of a digital-only compilation album release that--again--is available today only, with 100 percent of net proceeds going to Fair Fight, an organization that promotes fair elections. The album features 40 tracks, and it's a great way to hear from some longtime favorites and sample new talent, too. Get it while you can!  There's also super-cool cover art and a limited-edition poster by Shepard Fairey; proceeds from the latter will benefit racial justice organization Color of Change.

I was absolutely charmed this morning by an account of how the Berkshire Theatre Group has pulled off the only Actors Equity-approved live theatrical production of the summer, a revival of Godspell. The show's run has been extended, and while tickets are spendy by regional theater standards ($100), that's a bargain in a year without Broadway. If you live in Massachusetts or can present a negative COVID-19 test to enter the state, you can get more info here. Listen to Michael Paulson's story on The Daily, and check out this video showing the protocols in place for the audience. 

Finally, closer to home--but open to folks from anywhere given the magic of Zoom--I plan to attend Jet City Improv's women's improv jam tomorrow afternoon (a first for me, though I've done some in-person improv). In a similar vein, Playback Theater Northwest has a show set for 5 p.m. Pacific tomorrow, "What Have You Learned Lately?" Given that "learn" was my word for the year--and how much we've all learned these past six months--it should be good. Maybe I'll see some of you there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment